The purpose of this module is to provide you with guidance when faced with decisions related to your Little Sister or Little Brother, in order to help promote their well-being and increase the chances of a long and successful match.
Here are some of the key points that summarize the contents of this module:
- Ending a match prematurely can lead to great disappointment, and in some cases make matters worse for the child or youth than they were before the match.
- Your mentee depends on you. Bearing in mind the parameters and guidelines of your mentoring program, you should be there for them as much as you can.
- Respect and celebrate the differences between you, your mentee, and their family.
- Avoid taking on roles outside of the bounds of mentoring (boss, coach, psychologist, parent or guardian, etc.).
- Keep your focus on your mentee as opposed to the parents or guardians or other family members.
- Use your position of power only to benefit your Little Sister or Little Brother.
- Know the difference between secrets and surprises. Many secrets cannot be kept, so never promise your mentee that you will keep a secret before they tell it.
- Keep personal information about your Little Sister or Little Brother confidential.
- When in doubt about anything, consult with your program staff. You’re required to consult with them regularly; you’re encouraged to chat with them frequently!