Many of us were lucky enough to have had a mentor step into our lives during our formative years – at that time when we needed them most. A parent. A teacher. A relative. Whomever, it was someone who treated us with respect and in turn earned ours. Who valued our ideas, included us, and encouraged us. Who taught us that doing good is every bit as important as doing well. And who gave us the courage to make tough decisions, the self-esteem to make smart choices and the confidence to be true to ourselves.
Healthy Bodies, Healthy Minds
Go Girls! is a group mentoring program for girls ages 12-14 that focuses on physical activity, balanced eating and self-esteem. The single, most important goal of the program is to positively shape the lives of young women and girls by helping them build a positive self-image – setting them on a path to reach their full potential in life.
The Go Girls! program consists of 7 mentoring sessions, held over a 7-10 week period, after school within school facilities. Each 1.5-2 hour-long session is loosely structured around four themes: physical activity, healthy eating, self-esteem, and communication skills.
The program strives to do the following:
- create appreciation for the benefits of an active, healthy lifestyle
- build understanding of what constitutes healthy eating habits and the risks associated with eating disorders
- promote the importance of positive mental activity and regular physical exercise
- encourage awareness of core values, personal interests, strengths and attributes
- support the development of leadership and life skills
- offer guidance in establishing and maintaining friendships
- and above all, make a difference.
If you would like to learn more about becoming a mentor or donating to
the Go Girls Mentoring program we welcome your questions. You can apply now
or contact us.
Still not sure mentoring is right for you? Try our Online Orientation!