CLICK HERE FOR AN APPLICATION TO BECOME A LITTLE BROTHER OR LITTLE SISTER
Normally children in our traditional Big Brother Big Sister and Big Couples program are in need of another support in their life. Children are between the ages of 6 and 16. All children must want a Big Brother, Big Sister or Big Couple as a friend and must be available to meet with their “Big” on a weekly basis.
Our volunteer Mentors spend approximately 2 to 3 hours per week in a quality outing with a child. The commitment is for at least one year. The child and the volunteer(s) participate in fun activities together. These are usually low cost and the volunteer is responsible for paying for these outings. The volunteer’s primary focus is on the child and the building of a one to one friendship.
Children in our In-School Mentoring program have been referred to our agency through a teacher or principal. These children are in grades 1 - 8 . In-School Mentors are neither tutors nor classroom aides, and the visits focus around non-school related activities. The volunteer Mentor and the student meet in the child’s school for one hour a week, for the duration of the school year, and spend time doing activities they both enjoy such as crafts, sports, and board games. At this time this program is in Lethbridge School District No. 51 and Holy Spirit School District .
Application process - Traditional Big Brother/Big Sister program
- Parent Contacts Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Program Information and Application sent to Parent
- Big Brothers Big Sisters receives Application Form
- Parent and Child Pre-Match Training/Orientation (mandatory*)
- Safety/Orientation Seminar
- Parent and Child Interviews
- References from Teacher, Professionals returned to Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Child Assessed for Approval Upon Approval Child placed on Waitlist
Please Note: Processing of your child’s application will not begin until after you and your child attend the Pre-Match Training
Application process - In-School Mentoring Program
- Student identified by a teacher
- Teacher completes referral form
- Teacher sends information package & consent form home with student
- Referral form and parent consent returned to Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Child placed on Waitlist